Dec 4, 2009 - Grace Ushang Vigil
* Commend the Nigerian Feminist Forum, Murtala Mohammed Foundation and all NGOs and civil rights groups that have collaborated to organise the candlelight vigil in memory of late Grace Ushang.
* The brutal murder by rape of late Grace Ushang, a youth corps member serving his fatherland is a sad reminder of the stark reality of the evil of violence against women.
* It is also a wake up call for all of us to come together and seek all legitimate means including raising public awareness on violence against women.
* The society must speak with one voice, rise up in defence of woman’s dignity and ensure that violence and any other acts that violate women’s rights does not go unpunished to serve as deterrent against future occurrence.
* Women are very important members of the human society, they contribute significantly to the progress of the society
* The cooperation and support of all men of goodwill is required because women are mothers, wives, sisters, aunties etc.
May the innocent soul of Grace Ushang rest in peace.
Mrs. Abimbola Fashola
First Lady of Lagos State